HeartSmart Recipes

10.24.2004

LowFat Cakes made from cake mix

Ingredients
Had occasion to build a birthday cake today - and as a 21st century woman, I use cake mixes. They are so much easier that starting from "scratch". The Pillsbury cake mix box had a GREAT tip that made me feel like I was cooking my hubby a healthy cake. This was a "moist" cake calling for 1 1/4 cups water, 1/2 cup oil & 3 eggs. Here is Pillsbury's recommended substitution:

"If desired, substitute 3 egg whites or 3/4 cup refrigerated or frozen fat-free egg product, thawed, for the eggs. Increase water to 1 3/4 cups, omit oil & add 2 tbsp. flour. Bake 5 minutes longer."


Procedure
It turned out pretty good - not as "moist" as the regular, but much better for you. I've found that when you get accustomed to eating less fats in your diet, when you eat something fattier than usual, it tastes & feels odd when you eat it. I' ve grown to prefer less fat in my diet.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use applesause instead of oil works great

8:13 PM  
Blogger mammy7 said...

I use unsweetened applesauce & egg substitute in all my baking, which work great. Just an "aside" - beware of "hidden" dangerous transfats...95% of traditional cake mixes (all brands) have hydrogenated, partially hydrogenated, and/or interesterified oils in them, so you have to read more than the nutritional info & include the ingredients list to stay on top of things.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home